Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Coffee and Kale

 



To be honest, kale is not my favorite.  We grow kale at Englewood Community Farm because others like it. Some others love it. And it is good for you.  I'm not saying that I can't or won't eat it.  In fact, it was included in the mixed greens that I put in the skillet on Saturday, reduced in olive oil, added stew beef (yes, from a local farmer), rice, and a touch of soy sauce. Combined, it was delicious. 

What you see in the photo is our kale starts for our first crop this year. It won't be long before they go in the ground and we start harvesting kale to deliver to the food pantry at A Turning Point. Yes, there will be enough for you if you want some. 

A couple of things to notice: look closely and you will see the first true leaves have formed. That is a happy moment for garden nerds like me. Look closely again and you will see that the "seed pots" are repurposed Points on the Wheel Coffee bags. That is a happy moment for repurposing (is that even a word?) nerds like me.  

Finally, a few requests in no particular order: 

  • Buy our coffee.  If you are interested, email me: mark.pointsonthewheel@gmail.com
  • If you buy our coffee, save the bags. I have a plan for them
  • Volunteer at Englewood Community Farm this year
  • Consider a contribution to Points on the Wheel to support our initiative, "Mwen Grangu" supporting healthy food and healthy planet. Again, for more information, contact me: mark.pointsonthewheel@gmail.com